Home Online Education Programs Catalog Admissions Financial Aid Locations Contact
Employment Opportunities
>> Financial Aid: Dependency Status
>> Financial Aid Info

Dependency Status
Your response to certain questions will determine your dependency status. Your status can either be independent or dependent on your parents. If you are considered independent you must provide only your own income and assets (and those of your spouse, if you are married). If you are considered dependent on your parents, you must provide their income as well as your own.
You will be considered independent if you can answer "yes" to any of the following seven questions:

  1. Were you born before January 1, 1980 ?
  2. During the school year 2002-2003, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, or graduate certificate, etc.)?
  3. As of today, are you married? (Answer "Yes" if you are separated, but not divorced.)
  4. Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?
  5. Do you have dependents (other than your chilren or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2003 ?
  6. Are you an orphan, or are you or were you (until age 18) a ward/dependent of the court or were you a ward of the court?
  7. Are you a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

You must provide proof that you are independent. If you believe that your circumstances are unusual enough to make you independent even though none of the above criteria apply to you, talk to us. Based on the documentation you provide we might be able to change your status.

General Information
Dependency Status
Application Process
Student Loans
Additional Documents
Financial Aid Forms
Fund Disbursing
Mailing Instructions
Student Loan/Debt Management
Consumer Information

Email Logon
Copyright © 2005, International Institute of the Americas All rights reserved